Governing Board of Europeana Foundation
Europeana is owned by the Europeana Foundation, a Dutch Foundation. It has a Governing Board, which meets five times per year to set strategy and policy and review plans against goals and objectives. The members of the Board are legally and financially responsible for the activities of the Foundation, as such they also act as the steering board for all major Europeana-related projects funded by the European Commission. They are responsible for appointing the Executive Director to carry out the work set out in Europeana Strategy 2020, recalibrated Strategy 2020 and the yearly Business Plans.
The Governing Board consists of nineteen members, who collaborate with Europeana on a voluntary, unpaid basis:
- Two members appointed by and representing the founding members for two years,
- Six members appointed by Europeana Network Association form its Management Board for two years,
- Four members appointed by the Governing Board as representatives of European associations of content holders for two years,
- Four members appointed by the Governing Board as representatives of fields of expertise required to deliver the Europeana strategy for two years,
- Three members as representatives of the European Union member countries holding the Presidency of the Council the preceding, sitting and succeeding presidencies. This rotates every six months and each sits on the Governing Board for eighteen months.
The Governing Board appoints the Chair, Vice Chair and Treasurer from amongst its members.
The Governing Board may appoint observers who can attend all the meetings but do not have voting rights. The observers may be appointed:
- by nomination and approval of the majority of Board members,
- as former members of the Governing Board.
Network Association Management Board Member
Representative of Content Holder Associations
Representative of Specific Fields of Expertise
Member States Representative
Documents relating to the governance of the Europeana Foundation
Deed of Amendment to the Statutes of Europeana Foundation - 15 November 2016 (Dutch and English)
Deed of Amendment to the Statutes of Europeana Foundation - September 2015 (English)
Statutenwijziging Stichting Europeana – September 2015 (nederlandse)
Europeana Foundation Bylaws – June 2015
Deed of Amendment to Statutes of Europeana Foundation - October 2010
Articles of Association - Stichting European Digital Library - November 2007
Governing Board meeting documents